Name Change

Watch our video on how to complete the Petition for Name Change.

Petition for Name Change (PDF)

NOTE: The form contains fillable fields which allow you to complete the form on your screen. If you can’t see the fields then you may need to use a different browser or save the file to your device or print the form and fill it out by hand.

Where & When to File
A person desiring to change his or her name or that of a child or ward may file a petition in the judicial district in which he or she resides. The petition must be filed from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (except holidays). Hearings are held in open court Fridays at 1:30 p.m.

How to File
A petitioner must fill out a Petition for Name Change (PDF). The petitioner must appear in court for the hearing. The name cannot be changed by mail. Bring picture ID with you for your hearing. If you are requesting a name change for a minor child, it is suggested that you bring the following information:

  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate and social security card
  • An affidavit signed by both the child’s legal parents agreeing and consenting to the name change; or, alternatively, information or documentation showing the measures you have taken to notify the other parent of the requested change and the date and time of the hearing
  • Picture ID for yourself, and for your child (if available, e.g. school ID card)

It is suggested that minors age 10 and above be present at the court hearing. A separate petition must be filed for each name changed. Each petition filed will be charged a filing fee of $166.00.

If you are seeking a sealed name change order under the Domestic Violence Prevention Act, you must contact the Whatcom County Superior Court for filing information.

Filing Fees
Effective June 12, 2014, the filing fee is $166. We accept cash only. This is a non-refundable fee, which includes the fee to record the name change with the Whatcom County Auditor and an additional fee to provide you with 2 certified copies of the Name Change Order.

This information applies to Whatcom County District Court. Details may have changed which have not been updated on this page. It is your responsibility to check the court’s website to assure the accuracy of this information. The court’s website is locate here.

Comment on this FAQ

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *